Friday, March 30, 2007

Moonlight Sonata -- Presto Agitato (3rd Movement)

Been awhile since I posted.

I've been frantically trying to learn the 3rd movement of the Moonlight Sonata. You know, not the slow, melodramatic stuff from the beginning, but the furiously quick, insane bit from the end. This piece has always blown me away and I always thought it was out of my range of skill. This is because I've never had any training or teaching whatsoever. I still use this little cheat sheet with all the notes written besides the 2 clefs and a guide to how long notes are.
Usually, I listen to the music, and try to copy it step by step. It worked with "A Thousand Miles" (Vanessa Carlton), and two songs from "Amélie" (Yann Tiersen). But classical pieces are difficult to analyze, for Für Elise I had to consult the score for the first middle bit.

Now, I started using the sheet from day 1.

And what a miserable day that was. The arpeggio was totally crooked, first note was too loud and long and the three others either were too soft, one of em skipped, or mistaken. I spend that night only playing that 1 arpeggio on my old toy Casio keyboard (50 bucks or something, but still of use).

After I was able to do the arpeggio constantly, with even volume and timing, I gradually started training the left hand. This wasn't as easy at it seemed: although it's only a repetition of 2 notes, the second note is the same as the first note of the first arpeggio, and simultaneous with the second note of the arpeggio. My fingers constantly bumped into each other, and I needed 1,5 day to figure it out.

More posts as I progress, I'm sleepy now..see ya soon!

No comments: